Friday, May 29, 2009

Conner's New Ears

Conner, the day before surgery on his ears.  Such a happy guy!  

When Conner was only three months old a craniofacial doctor in California told us that he could "fix" Conner's ears.  I was a little shocked, because I had never thought about my baby needing his ears "fixed" and this certainly was not something I wanted to think about.  Conner had just had stomach surgery, and a g-tube placed in his stomach in order to feed him because he would not eat.  The appearance of his ears was not our primary concern at this time.  However, since that conversation with the doctor, I thought about it occasionally, and Keir and I talked about it a few times.  Conner has been teased on several occasions by other kids about his ears, and even though he never understood - I did.  I cried on a few occasions, wondering when Conner would start to understand, and realize what the other kids were saying.  I would do anything to help him avoid these tough times growing up - kids can be really mean.  But, I wasn't quite sure about surgery . . . .   Well, our decision was made for us when Conner's audiologist encouraged us to have a consult with the ENT surgeon at Children's Hospital - Conner's hearing aids would not stay put on his ears, and we could never get a great ear mold - due to the shape/floppyness of his ears.  So, we did it - or, Conner did it!  He is such a brave boy and has been under general anesthesia more than any adult I know!

Here is Conner with his new ears!  Sorry, this is not a great picture, and his ears are still a bit swollen.....I will get some better pictures soon!

Since many have already asked - the surgery was just to tack his ears back, and give them more stability to be able to wear his hearing aids without too much trouble and discomfort.  He will be able to wear his hearing aids in EIGHT weeks, once he heals.  This is a long time....and I pray that his speech does not regress during this time - although he loves not wearing them - maybe because Allie is still in the screaming phase??

Sorry, this is getting long.....one quick story from the day: Conner gets very nervous/anxious around any doctor or nurse.  Can you blame him with all that he has gone through.  Anyway, he was so anxious we could not get a blood pressure before his surgery, so they gave him a liquid dose of Versed to calm him down.  As it was starting to work, I was reading to him.  He stopped me, and said, "Mom, I am going on a trip!"  I asked where he was going, and he answered, "Las Vegas!"

One last picture, added later - I know it is not pretty, but it was not as bad as it looks.  I was a bit shocked at first.  I did not realize it would be so bruised.

6 comments:

AmyJune said...

He really is a brave boy!!

Keir Jones said...

Conner YOU'RE THE MAN!! I couldn't be a prouder dad! I love you buddy!! XOXOXO Dad

Caren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caren said...

Yay Conner! You are most definitely THE MAN! I'm so glad things went well.... and I'm thinking of you all during his recovery. He is an amazing little boy. Hug him tight.

Much love,
The Nesset Family

PS Sorry about the deleted comment. Did you know if you make a typo you can't fix it? Good to know! :D

LindsiDee said...

What a handsome boy! I love him just the way he us! i am so glad that it went well and he is doing awesome! Conner is a warrior!

Linds

Hey Linds, you want to do a half in August?

LindsiDee said...

What a handsome boy! I love him just the way he us! i am so glad that it went well and he is doing awesome! Conner is a warrior!

Linds

Hey Linds, you want to do a half in August?