Sunday, March 21, 2010

My New Favorite Boots

The East Coast has again surprised us. A rain storm over the weekend, and our basement had water FLOWING IN from several locations for the entire next week. Yes, the rain stopped on Sunday night, but the water kept flowing in until Friday. And of course, since we are renting this house, and just moved, we did not have a sump pump. Keir and I spent the first 48 hours taking turns pushing and sweeping the water to keep it from getting our stuff wet. A co-worker of Keir's who happened to be one of the lucky ones with a dry basement brought us his pump, because of course there was not a store within hours that had any pumps left. Keir checked. Even the display models were sold. I wore my boots all week - to do laundry, to go to my desk, to check the pump, to sweep the water to the pump, to get various things from the basement - and all while it was dry and sunny outside. Allison didn't miss a chance to put on her boots and help out. She loved it!



Cayden was also a big helper. Hopefully, this was a rare event and we will not have to do this every time it rains. However, I have learned that most people here just accept that their basements will have a little water, a little humidity, and will always be a little damp. Yuck!

1 comment:

Dakin said...

I bought boots during this storm too. And, this was the first time in 2 years that we've had water in our basement. Consider yourself lucky that you don't have carpet! I think they might just replace the carpet when we move out.