Yesterday, Keir and I received news that we've been waiting for since January of 2004. I took Conner to see a geneticist from Children's Hospital, hoping, once again to get some answers. Conner saw a geneticist at about 2 months old, and we found nothing - but our current pediatrician thought we should try again since technology has advanced quite a bit since then, and EVERY doctor we see truly believes Conner has a genetic condition - there are just too many things going on to be a coincidence. Dr. Manchester told me that he is pretty sure Conner has Kabuki Syndrome, but that he wants to wait until the lab work is back before making an official diagnosis. Keir and I, of course, spent the evening, and late into the night reading everything we could about Kabuki Syndrome on the internet. After doing so, we are probably more convinced than the geneticist that this is indeed what Conner has. While reading the stories of the many families and children, Keir and I kept looking at each other with absolute amazement - if felt like we were reading our own story over and over. Not to mention all the pictures of the children that felt like we were looking at pictures of Conner. The similarities are AMAZING. Since this is a very rare syndrome, with no definitive test yet for diagnosing, it is diagnosed by a geneticist according to the recognition of certain characteristics. Conner has almost every characteristic:
- long palpebral fissures/eye length (check)
- prominent/thick eyelashes (check)
- arched eyebrows with sparse outer half (check)
- prominent and misshapen ears (check)
- low set and/or rotated ears (check, check)
- frequent ear infections, usually requiring tubes (check, check)
- depressed nasal tip/flat nasal bridge (check, check)
- intellectual disability (check - although he is VERY smart, just has taken longer to learn things most kids pick up quickly on their own.)
- persistent finger fetal pads (check)
- Hypotonia/low muscle tone (check)
- Hyperextensible joints (check)
- Feeding difficulties, usually requiring g-tubes (check, check)
- Hearing impaired, usually requiring aides (check, check)
- Heart defects (check - Conner has a bicuspid aortic valve)
- Small mouth, very high arched palate (check, check)
- Missing/unusually shaped teeth (check)
- Sensory integration dysfunction (check)
- Flat feet, usually needing orthotics or braces (check, check)
- Undescended testicle (check - still need to have this surgery...)
- Strabismus, usually requiring surgery (check, check)
The characteristics Conner does not have (knock on wood) are:
- Seizures
- Kidney anomalies
- Skeletal abnormalities (short 5th finger, scoliosis)
- short stature (they think Conner even has this one, but I do not think he is short...he is supposedly in the 10% range for height for a five year old - but I won't get into what I think of those charts.)
- Rapid weight gain during puberty, sometimes causing obesity
After reading many stories of other children, I've been inspired to finish the journal of Conner's story - stay tuned, this may take a while. Many stories we read spoke of the disappointment when first diagnosed. We do not have this. After over FIVE YEARS of wondering WHY, WHY, WHY, we finally have answers, and know what is going on with sweet Conner.
During our research last night, we came across a Dr. studying the syndrome, who is trying to identify the genetic etiology, and is looking for participants in his research. Guess where he is? Yep, Boston! Coincidence??
9 comments:
WOW! I can only imagine the relief you two are starting to feel, in finally having some answers. I also know that you and Kier must appreciate Conner even more (if that is possible). What a sweet little guy, and what a lucky family that gets to have him. I look forward to hearing more on Conner's story. As for the move to Boston, Glenn and I couldn't be more excited for you!
Ditto to everything Lindsay said. Take a look at the official website : http://www.kabukisyndrome.com/ it's a very interesting read. Thanks to everyone for all of your support of the years.
Wow, you guys! This is big news! I'm glad that you are on the verge of getting answers for something that has been an unknown for you all these years. I can't imagine the relief you must be feeling! This is such wonderful news. And regarding the Boston doctor - definitely not a coincidence in my opinion. You guys definitely seem to be guided towards the move and all of the blessings it brings, and this is just one more! I couldn't be happier for your family.
Ever seen that show Mystery Diagnosis... how frustrating for some people to go for so long with no answers for medical/health problems!! What a blessing to get this new information... AND I am having BIG HUGE ALLIGATOR TEARS reading that this doctor who is studying & specializing in this is in BOSTON!!!!!! That is NO coincidence sister!! Did you tell mom yet? I'm calling her right now!
What a blessing! I have to say how much I admire your determination and constant positive outlook. Conner is truly a gift. We love spending time with your fabulous family! I am going to the website right now to check it out!
WOW! I really don't even know what to say! I so agree with you about the relief, "why" is the most difficult question, and I always feel like I can cope with things if I can understand them. Not to mention if this can give you a heads up for the future and let you know thing proceedures etc that help...what a blessing. You're right Boston...NO coincidence, I don't believe in them! I do have to say though, you two have the most positive attitude about all those "checks" I loved seeing how much you both worked to make life fun and everything an adventure for your kids...even super ears :)
What a great blessing for the Jones family... again!! I'm excited for you since this will be a whole new adventure both with the move and with Conner's "unofficial" diagnosis. My parents had to wait until my sister was 16 before someone was finally able to give them a diagnosis for her...so you're doing pretty well for just a few years in :) So happy for you guys!!!
Oh! I just got chills!!! I am so selfishly sad for your family to leave but I can honestly say I am so excited for you to have the opportunity to help Connor more and to know (finally) what is going on!
sniff, sniff, SMILE! We love the Jones!
Hey you guys. Prayers an blessings..............I am excited for you to have some answers at last.
Sorry for your leaving just when the Enloes got back. Hope you will keep in touch and I can keep in touch with thre happenings through Brenda's Blog.
Many prayers will go with you I know.
It was good to see you all and hope you will be able to come to our house again sometime.
Marj & Craig Martin
Post a Comment