We've been talking to the boys about the possibility of moving, and they are very excited. They have been so excited, that I've been worried that maybe they do not quite understand that it will be very far away, and that their best friends, school, etc. will not be there. It almost seems like they think we are going on a fun, exciting vacation. Despite my concern that they didn't understand, I did not bring it up. I wanted to keep it a happy positive experience for them. (I am crying enough on my own!) Well, I underestimated them. This morning Conner walked up to me and said, "Mom, I am really going to miss Charlie!" I wanted to make sure I knew what he was referring to, so I asked, "what?" Conner responded, "when we move far away, I am going to miss Charlie!" I have been crying ever since. (Good thing several of their friends, including Charlie, Gracen, Marlo & Brody all have family on the east coast!)
So, I guess I better give a little more information now, even though I am already fighting back the tears and can hardly see what I am typing.
The facts are:
1. Keir will be done with the house he is building in a month or so.
2. The next project, he already did permits for is no longer going to happen - not a surprise in this economic climate.
3. Many of our friends, who also work in construction do not have work right now.
4. We are not in a position (unlike many who live in the Aspen Valley) to go on without a job.
5. California (where we would love to go back to!) has even fewer job opportunities right now.
6. The company Keir works for is based in Wellesley, MA (Boston area), has work there for him, and Keir has loved working with them.
Pretty simple, right? I've heard many times, "you move where the job is!" and understand that statement, and know that even having an offer right now is a huge blessing. So, we know what we need to do, we feel good about it, right about it, and we are preparing to do it. But, this does not make it easy. I've been telling everyone that we are still looking for work here, and the truth is that Keir has explored many leads in the last few weeks, but none have led to anything more than a "possible" job to "possibly" start in the near future. Nothing we want to bank on. So, I still may say that we are looking for something here, but my gut says we are going, I feel it is the right thing for us, and I know we are going - I just say we are still looking here to avoid saying "we are moving" because then I would just break down in tears, and become a complete mess. Lame, I know. I am a wimp when it comes to stuff like this. Sorry.
On a happier note, there are many positive things about the move I must focus on to try and keep the tears from flowing:
- The schools out there are AMAZING!
- The medical care is also AMAZING! (no more driving 3-4 hours to take Conner to the doctor, and who knows, maybe some smart med student out there will be able to diagnose Conner?!?!)
- The cost of a plane ticket from CA to MA is actually CHEAPER than to Aspen! And, you CAN get a direct flight - no such thing as a direct flight to/from Aspen.
- We will no longer debate whether to drive or fly to visit family in CA.
- All of you will have a place to stay when you visit Boston!
- We will live within 20 minutes of the Boston temple - making our goal to attend more often much easier!
- Keir is excited about the work and the company - which counts for a whole lot!
I apologize if this is news to you, and you are finding out about our move through our blog. Lame, I know - but again, I am bad at this stuff. And, frankly, I already have a crying headache, so spending hours on the phone telling everyone is out of the question. So, if you have more positives to add to my list, feel free to comment and share with us! Despite the sad tone of this post we are truly excited about this next adventure for our family. . . . we just need to mourn a bit, since we have made some really great life-long friends in CO, and we are moving even farther away from many life-long friends AND family in CA.
Why do things you know are right, still have to be so sad and hard? (Dad, I know the answer, we are learning and growing...I just had to ask.)
5 comments:
How could you stay in Colorado now that the Headley family had left? :)
Though we had hoped California was the next stop, we're happy Keir has found a job he'll continue to enjoy. I'm sure you'll love the Boston area. For all those things you mentioned, it will be great for your family.
And since you offered, perhaps we'll have to crash your place there too.
I think this is such a wonderful and exciting adventure for you and your family! I'm happy that you have a job to go to, as so many people don't right now. What a blessing!
Congratulations and best wishes to you on your move!
The Nesset Family
Lindsay... I'm sure that there are MANY overwhelming things that add to the whole moving situation. Just know that (in addition to the things that you've already said...) you will have an AWESOME ward with more balanced responsibilities! You will make MANY wonderful new friends! YOU WILL GET VISITS from MANY people who love you... it is just a plane flight... cheaper flights to Boston than Aspen! (less cancelled flights too! hehe) We love you... WISH we were closer to help in any way!
What an adventure! You and your family can do ANYTHING! Seriously. I have moved 20+ times, never with kids and my own house. Linds I admire your positive attitude and know because you and your family are such a joy, you will find happiness WHEREVER you go! The Stevens are coming to BOSTON! No, I am not kidding. I have never been, and really want to come! Keep your chin up! Love Love Love you! Linds
You are going to love the Boston area! I lived in South Natick (one town south of Wellsley) for a year and miss many things...Massachusetts is beautiful...especially during the fall...the leaves are brilliant colors! Boston reminds me of San Francisco...with it's street performers...yummy restaurants...diversity. It has a lot of history. I'm so excited for Conner too...I will pray for you and your cute family.
love,
Stacy
Post a Comment