I cannot believe Conner is 5 years old! Although his first year (or two) was very difficult and seemed to go by very slowly, due to hundreds of doctor appointments, surgeries, feeding tubes, a helmet, etc., I really cannot believe it has been five years. There were many days I had just accepted the fact that Conner may never eat, and would be tube fed the rest of his life. Despite his struggles, we could see his bright happy personality he still has today. He is such a happy boy, and does not think anything about him is different from the other kids. He thinks he is lucky to have "super ears" to the point Cayden is a bit jealous, and told someone last week that his super ears were just inside his head. Conner regularly tells Keir and I that he loves us, and thanks us for the small things like making dinner, taking him to school, and doing the laundry, so he can wear his favorite clothes. It sometimes brings tears when Conner comes up to me after dinner and says, "thanks for dinner mom, it was yummy!" Not only because he is such a sweet, thoughtful boy, but because at one point, he would not eat anything, and would cry at the sight of a bottle or food. Conner now eats more than Cayden, and sometimes gives Keir a run for his money. This year, Conner requested to have a Curious George birthday party, which is exactly what he wanted/had last year. When I asked if he wanted to do something different, he simply told me that he liked George, and wanted another George cake. He invited his entire preschool class (including his teacher, who he adores), and a couple good neighbors. We had a great time. At the end of the night he said several times, "that was a really fun party, thanks mom & dad!"
Allie helping dad put up some balloons.
The Curious George cake.
The bounce house set up in Allie's room. (because our yard is covered in snow, and it is maybe 20 degrees outside.)
Keir covering Conner's mouth so he does not blow the candles out before we are done singing - he was so excited, and could hardly wait!
Waiting for cake.
He had lots of help opening presents.
Lexi hiding in the gift bag.
One of his favorite presents, a Spiderman bag.
We love you Conner! Happy Birthday!
4 comments:
So Cute! Love the cake...did you do that Linds?
Alright, I got a little misty-eyed reading about sweet little (or not so little anymore) Conner. I just love that kid!
Yes, I made the cake. It has become tradition to spend an insane amount of time on birthday cakes in our house. I do have to say that making Curious George was a lot easier since he wanted the same thing two years in a row.
I'm soooo sorry that we couldn't be there. I LOVE that cute BOY!! And Cayden cracks me up with his super ears inside his head!!! :) LOLOLOL
Post a Comment