Tuesday, January 11, 2011

We're Home!!

We are home!
A whole week earlier than expected.
Which brings both excitement and anxiety...

We are so excited to be home, because as several doctors and friends have told us, the healing process happens a lot faster at home than in a hospital.  It was so great to eat dinner as a family, and put the kids to bed.  Although Conner still has a long road ahead of him, I am AMAZED at the progress he has made in such a short time.  When putting his pj's on tonight, he wanted to show Allie and Cayden his incision - so he did.  They both looked very concerned, and I know they are very proud of their brother, as we all are.

We are also a little anxious to have the responsibilities that have been done for the last week by very skilled and caring nurses and doctors.  Will we remember his medication?  Will we hear him at night if he needs help to get up?  Will we be able to keep Allie and Cayden from being too rough with him?  I know we will be okay, and I am SOO happy to be home, but I cannot deny that I am also a little anxious about this next step.

Conner was so excited, and wanted to pack his things from the moment he woke up this morning.  When we finally began to pack after his morning tests (which he was so brave for!) he sat and looked at the giant bunch of balloons tied to his bed.  He then asked, "Mom, do you think I should give my balloons to some of my friends who have to stay at the hospital?"  I almost cried!  This kid is such a wonderful example to us.  I told him how proud we are of him, and then suggested that he pick his favorites, and give the rest away.  He was so excited to give balloons to friends he met while there, and said, "I hope you get better so you can go home too."

Here we are leaving the hospital. 

6 comments:

Julie Berry said...

Congratulations. It's been such a thrill following this adventure. Thanks for posting so regularly. Conner has been in our prayers all week, but now he's in our hearts to stay.

Laura said...

Holy cow! What an amazing kid! Balloons for everyone!!

Caren said...

I am SO happy to hear that Conner is home. He is such an inspiration!

LindsiDee said...

Way to go Conner! I am so impressed with how positive this experience has been! You are both great parents! Can't wait to see his progress!

Mike and Alli said...

How sweet! So wonderful that Conner is home now.

Betsy Escandon said...

I'm so glad you are back home and that Conner is healing well. That balloon story is very very sweet.